Charlesworth Bicentenary
The turnpike road from Marple Bridge to Glossop was constructed in 1803, linking the mills along the valley, and is now the Glossop-Marple Road.
A toll bar was located by the junction with Bot Lane (now New Mills Road) and had windows set into angled walls to enable good views down the road so that the keeper could assess the appropriate charge for vehicles.
Another toll bar was the little building at the top of Woodseats Lane joining Marple Road. This captured the vehicles that went down Woodseats to cross the River Etherow at Warrastfold Bridge to enter Broadbottom.
Yet another toll bar was at 44 to 46 Town Lane for Monks Road, this being part of the Cradle and Coffin Inn.(See later in Public House section)
Monks Road had been improved in the 1790s to the same standard as a turnpike road, with the existing holloways and ruts being flattened and the carriageway set between walls up to 9 metres (30 feet) apart on a graded surface. This was mainly for the benefit of the newly-created farms rather than any through traffic, and the 1857 Poor Law map shows it terminating at the boundary of the estate, with the final connection to the Glossop to Hayfield turnpike being apparently no more than a track.
Both the wells near Top School and opposite Town Lane Farm show an unusual survival of the original road surface.
The well opposite Town Lane Farm has water troughs for both people and animals, the trough nearest the well is for people to reduce the likelihood of contamination.
Add your own content here. Click to edit.