top of page

The Manchester to Sheffield Railway line through Woodhead tunnel was not built until 1845. It was built by the Sheffield, Ashton-under- Lyne and Manchester Railway with Joseph Locke as its engineer. In 1847 the railway merged with the Sheffield and Lincolnshire Junction Railway, the Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway and the Grimsby Docks Company to form the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, it changed its name to the Great Central Railway (GCR) in 1897.

 

The railway company decided to bypass Glossop, and Dinting Station was named Glossop: this was after Dinting Arches were opened in August 1844. (Prior to the opening of Dinting Arches the line terminated at Gamesley Station, which is now no longer.)

The Duke of Norfolk constructed the branch line from Dinting to Glossop. Because it passed over his lands he did not require an Act of Parliament.

The work started in November 1842 and was open to passengers on the 30th June 1845. This led to Dinting station being renamed.

Glossop station was completed in 1847.

Add your own content here. Click to edit.

bottom of page