top of page

The Grey Mare Inn was built in 1811. In 1852 the landlord was George Brocklehurst. Opposite the George and Dragon on Glossop Road.

The George and Dragon Inn was built in 1821 by Samuel Booth of Bankwood,  his wife was Miss Martha Shepley. Samuel Booth and John Thornley built the Charlesworth Cotton Mill.

In the current car park near to Haydn Fold there was a barn.

The Waggon and Horses was built in 1835 by Joseph Rowbottom with a 99 year lease: on the 14th April 1897 this was extended to 999 years. This Inn was on Marple Road directly opposite the entrance to Woodseats Lane.

The Horse Shoe Inn was built in 1824 byWilliam Bennett. On the 24th April 1826, William Booth of Mottram assaulted James Booth, the Head Borough Constable in the Horse Shoe Inn, for which he had to make a public apology by means of posters distributed in the neighbourhood as a warning to others to uphold the dignity and majesty of the law. This is now the garage and cafe on Marple Road.

The Bulls Head Inn was built in 1791 by Samuel Mottram,  Manufacturer on Town Lane, in an old weaver’s cottage opposite Chapel Brow.

The Cradle and Coffin Inn was oppposite the Bulls Head at  numbers 44-46 Town Lane where the grocer John Bradbury obtained a licence. There is an underground passage from this building which is believed to run to the Independent Chapel graveyard but has collapsed. 

A tale associated with this inn is that a wagon parked outside carrying a coffin for Top Chapel broke loose whilst the bearers were over indulging in the Inn and careered all the way down Town Lane to the consternation of the residents of the village before being retrieved.

The stables were behind the Inn to accommodate travellers.

Numbers 46 and 48 Town Lane in 1976, part of which was the Cradle and Coffin Public House

The Grey Mare Pub

bottom of page