Charlesworth Bicentenary
The school was built by donations collected at the Chapel and William Adamson (Headmaster) paid rent.
When the school first opened E Adamson, school secretary collected children's subscriptions for attending Charlesworth Sunday School but only when parents could afford to pay. Ranging from 3d to 6d.
Subscriptions were used to buy books from the Bible Society, buy coal for heating, and pay for a lady to make the fires before the pupils arrived.
Other expenditure including whitewashing the walls, repairing windows and making cupboards ( James Booth).
The children all received a Bible and supplements. Books were purchased from Ellerby and Sons.
The rent for the Old School house on Back Lane, that was used prior to the school being built was £2.0.0 per half-year and was paid to James Mottram. In 1836 the house was painted and renovated.
The school clock was bought in 1825, clock cost £1.15.0 from James Dewsnap and the cost of James Bradbury building the clock case and painting was £2.9.0.
A stove was purchased in 1828 for £6.5.0
The school yard was not flagged until the 27th May 1837 by James Booth at a cost £5.5.0.
The separate privies for Boys and Girls were built outside the main building against the drystone wall. These were emptied every so often by what the scholars affectionately called the “stink wagon.” The teachers had a seperate privy in the main building.
At the main entrance to the school boys went to the right and girls went to the left to be taught separately.
Education for girls received before 1870 was very similar to that followed by boys, with the probable addition of some sewing and knitting. The concern to develop a more distinctive curriculum with a focus on domestic science, cooking, laundry and needlework came after 1870 and especially in the 1880s and 1890s.
Lighting was by oil lamps and an invoice can be seen paying Joseph Cooper £2.3s.10d for oil for the lamps on 21st July 1838.
Night School was started in 1835 for children workers and was charged at 3d. per week.
On May 25th 1835 the scholars had their first tea party, with treats provided by George Booth and Mrs. Moss.
In 1841 the Ground Rent for the school was 12s. per year.
In 1846 Samuel Marshall was paid £7.10s.0d for instruction at school and £6.5s.0d for 40 weeks at Night School.
Also in 1846 buns were given free to the children by Ralph Booth.
On 29th June 1849 Mr. Wilson was paid a ½ year salary of £30.
On 28th May 1850 Miss Bancroft was paid a yearly salary of £20.
Fees stopped in 1854 and school was funded by collection in the Chapel and paid in May each year.
Between 1827 and 1831 treats were given to the Boys only and cost 25d each.
A curious event occurred in 1835, when a John Shaw was occupying the school for other purposes. The headmaster at the time, Mr William Adamson, denied giving permission for this to happen. The trustees asked Mr Shaw to leave. Mr Shaw believed he had the right to occupy the school but agreed to leave after 12months. Mr Adamson said that he would re-consider his position and give his decision at the end of the year, because the Trustees did not at first agree that he had not given permission to Mr. Shaw to occupy the school . The trustees then provided a lock for the school.
By 1863 the school became known as the Charlesworth British School. A report from the Log Book dated January 1863 discloses that the school
“ - is in a wretched condition as far as working materials are concerned.
There are no reading books so that any teaching is from the Bible.”
There are no reading books so that any teaching is from the Bible.”