Charlesworth Bicentenary
In the early 1800s Charlesworth was slowly developing an infrastructure; you must remember that this was a time before the reservoirs had been even thought of being constructed at Woodhead.
It was John Frederick Le Trobe Bateman born in 1810 near Halifax who built the first reservoirs in Europe on this site to supply water to the expanding population in Manchester and these were not completed until February 1877 after starting construction in August 1848.
In Charlesworth several public houses were built to satisfy the locals.
The Grey Mare was built in 1811. The George and Dragon was built in 1821 by Samuel Booth of Bankwood and the Horse Shoe Inn, now the garage, 7 Marple Road was built by William Bennet in 1824. (See where the school plans were drawn up).
In 1811 there were 148 houses and 846 inhabitants. In 50 years, according the the census in 1861 there was an increase to 369 houses and 1,573 inhabitants.
In September 1835 a lease of land was granted to Joseph Bradley, for the erection of a Particular Baptist Chapel.
The foundation stone for St. Johns Church was laid by John Chapman, Esq., of Hill End Mottram on 25th October 1848 on a site known as “Ashen Bottom” which was purchased for £300. It was consecrated on the 8th October 1849 by John, Bishop of Lichfield.
St Johns school, now Charlesworth Primary School was built by December 1850 and opened on 7th April 1851 on the current site, the land was purchased for £60.
In 1855 the Glossop Gas Company was given the right to supply gas to Charlesworth